When we buy a bed, we tend to focus more on the mattresses and less on the bed base. Many of us today end up choosing the wrong bed base which directly affects our sleep cycle. And all of us know what health mishaps follow when we end up sleeping less than the optimum time.
Today we will be telling you exactly what kind of a bed is right for you to get that good night’s sleep. You will get to know how to choose a correct bed for you from different types such as slatted bed base, divans etc. Many bed bases are too rigid for some while too flexible for others.
So how do you start looking for the right bed for you?
While choosing the correct bed base it is important that we keep the following things in mind:
1) Is it adjustable: With the increasing popularity of adjustable beds and the suitable mattresses for those beds we must know that the bed base we are choosing has an adjustable variety
2) Back Support: Too many beds are too soft and cannot provide the necessary back support we need to rest. If the bed base is not rigid just enough we might end up disrupting our posture
3) Pressure Distribution: Our body has a U-shaped lumbar curve that causes different weight distribution on the bed base. It is important we choose bed base that is capable of adjusting accordingly that will ensure a good blood circulation
4) Ventilation: A good ventilation for the bed base ensures a longer life of the mattress
5) Standard height: Many bed bases or frames do not come in standard size due to their build or design. If our legs end up dangling off the edge or hitting against the footpads naturally we will have disturbed sleep.
6) Sleeping Position: Depending if you are a side sleeper, back sleeper or a stomach sleeper, your choice of the bed should be chosen accordingly.
#1 Side Sleepers: Sleeping side-ways be it on the left or right, most of our body weight get focused on our shoulders and hips. Now if you realize your shoulders and your hip is a relatively smaller portion of your body to hold a whole lot of weight. So if you are a side sleeper make sure you choose a softer or a flexible bed base
#2 Back Sleepers: Too soft bed is not suitable for a back sleeper as it might ruin the posture. A medium to hard bed is ideal for a back sleeper
#3 Stomach Sleepers: When you sleep on your stomach, you tend to put pressure on your chest and stomach. A hard bed can suffocate you but a soft one can ruin your posture by misaligning your neck. So an adjustable medium-hard bed is ideal for you.
Considering the above factors let us look at how each of the bed bases fair for each criterion:
|Type of Bed||Slatted Bed||Divan||Bedstead|
|Sleeping Position||Side Sleepers
|Back Sleepers||Back Sleepers|
Looking at the above table, a slatted bed base is definitely more suitable for most of the needs. Which could be the reason why it is so popular.
Slatted bed base has different types.
1) Sprung Slatted Base: The slats of the sprung slatted base are curved shaped and offer flexibility and bounce. They are usually preferred for the double beds as the slats tend to remain in the same position and not move horizontally when the other person changes sides or gets up from the bed.
2) Fixed slatted Base: The slats are parallel to the ground. They are usually available in the wood variant which makes it longer lasting than the sprung slatted base.
Now that you know how to choose a right bed let us look at some tips to follow for a good night’s sleep:
Tip 1: Make sure you choose the correct mattress. A slatted bed base goes very well with the foam or the latex mattress.
Tip 2: Make sure you choose clean linens.
Tip 3: Make sure you have your bed in the room that doesn’t put direct sunlight into your eyes. Having a dark room helps have a better sleep.
Tip 4: Make sure you have your bed in the room whose walls have less sun exposure after the afternoon (i.e. a east facing bedroom). Studies have shown having cooler rooms ensures a better sleep.
Tip 5: Avoid taking any work to your bed. It is important you have your bed space and work space different.
Choosing a bed is one of the most important things for a good night’s sleep. Not only is the right bed but also good bed etiquettes can ensure a good and sound sleep.
So what bed would suit the best for your house? Have you decided to buy any bed yet or are you going to follow the guide above. Let us know in the comments below if you need any help while buying a bed.